Screen Resolution

Boyd Tong jboydt770 at gmail.com
Sun May 6 12:22:16 MST 2007

I need help resolving a screen resolution problem. I have Ubuntu 7.04 loaded
on a Dell Dimension L700cx system. It is a single boot. I am using a
Princeton VL1918 monitor. The only screen resolution available is 640 X 480.
The Dell uses the 810E chip set and according to the documentation, has the
following resolutions available: 640 X480, 800 X 600, 1024 X 768. 1152 X
864, 1280 X 1024 and 1600 X 1200.  The monitor synchronization is 31 to 81
Hz horizontal and 56 to 75 Hz vertical. The ergo. Resolution is 1280 X 1024.
I have attempted to use sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg to no avail.
Below are the answers to the screens that appear while running xserver.

 1.         xserver driver             vesa is highlighted    OK

2.         Generic video card                                       OK

3.         OK

4.         Video cards bus identifier is PCI:0:1:0      OK

5.         OK

6.         No

7.         Autodetect keyboard            Yes

8.         US keyboard             OK

9.         Leave xorg chosen   OK

10.       Keyboard type           OK

11.       pc105 shows. I changed to pc101              OK

12.       OK

13.       OK

14.       OK

15.       OK

16.       OK

17.       Mouse Port    leave at /dev/input/mice        OK

18.       Mouse Protocol         ImPS/2           OK

19.       3 Button emulation                No       I have 3 button mouse

20.       OK

21.       bitmap, ddc, dri, extmod, freetype, glx, int10, vbe OK

22.       Yes

23.       Attempt monitor autodetection        Yes

24.       Changed name to Princeton VL1918         OK

25.       I chose:  1280X1024, 1152X864, 1024X768, 800X600,    640X480
OK

26.       OK

27.       Simple            OK

28.       19-20 inches              OK

29.       No

30.       24 bit color depth      OK

Entered sudo reboot

On startup when I type my name the characters are so small they are not
readable. I have only one resolution choice, 640 X480 and 73 Hz.  When I try
to enter a new contact in the Thunderbird contact window the window is so
large I cannot get down to the OK button.