2tb limit?

Dan Lund situationalawareness at gmail.com
Wed May 2 15:05:54 MST 2007

Well, here's the whole setup:

An AMD64 Opteron 246 w/2 gb ram, with 2 IDE "system" disks installed.
I raid1 them through software raid.

I have 16 SATA disks attached via an Areca SATA RAID card which is
configured with a RAID6+2 failover setup.
I use LVM2 to split them up amongst their different partitions, and I
have 3.2TB allocated to this particular partition.

After looking at the raw /dev/sda disk (allocated by the Areca driver,
and setup as a physical device in my volume group) it is labelled
msdos.  Would that cause a problem being so low in the layers?

If I change it, how would I make it accessible again via parted?  I'm
not terribly versed in parted.  Just looking at the params, my guess
would be to run mklabel, and once the partition table is killed, run
rescue with a start and end.. but where to get those numbers?

Either way, I'm dumping the whole partition to tape tonight.

--
"Courage is like love; it must have hope to nourish it."
-Napoleon Bonaparte