2tb limit?

steve crandell steven.crandell at icrossing.com
Wed May 2 13:39:18 MST 2007

Take a gander at your disk label.
# parted /dev/sdx
 > print

I'm guessing it will be msdos.
If so, that's your problem.
Consider using gpt instead.

Note: changing a disk label will render your data unusable, though it
will technically be `rescue`-able using gnu parted.

That said I'd consider copying it off-disk prior to making any changes
if possible.

Dan Lund wrote:
> Well I doubt its failing hardware on a raid6+2, I was leaning more
> towards device constraints and was wondering if anyone else has dealt
> with a device greater than 2tb.
>

> On 5/2/07, Mike Garfias <mike at garfias.org> wrote:
>> On May 2, 2007, at 11:32 AM, Dan Lund wrote:
>>
>>> So I have a partition I use for backups and its 52 percent full... I'm
>>> getting filesystems full errors, and its xfs.
>>> I was running debian stable until 10 mins ago and put on centos 4.4
>>> (not 5 because of drivers).  I haven't tried it with centos yet.
>>>
>>> I wanted to run it across you guys and see if there's somw 2tb
>>> barrier?
>> Filesystem size of a 64bit XFS is 9 exabytes.
>>
>> Under 2.4 with a 4K page size you're limited to 16TB max file size.
>> That grows to 64TB max with a 16K page size.  With a 2.6 kernel and
>> CONFIG_LBD set you're looking at a max file size of 9 million TB.
>>
>> I don't think your file system is the constraint.  I've had similar
>> behavior when dealing with failing hardware - that would be where I'd
>> start first.

Steve Crandell
Linux System Operations

	480.282.6047 direct
	480.239.9286 mobile
	480.505.5801 fax
	steven.crandell at icrossing.com
	www.icrossing.com

	ATLANTA | CHICAGO | DALLAS | NEW YORK | SAN FRANCISCO | SCOTTSDALE
  	Winner of OMMA Magazine's 2005 Agency of the Year: Best Search