How to connect four edi devices?

Jim arizona.anorak at gmail.com
Tue May 1 10:10:35 MST 2007

Josef Lowder wrote:
> .
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 20:06:40 -0700, Eric \"Shubes\" wrote
>>> Ironic that I can write to a drive on the second ide channel
>>> even though bios doesn't see it.  But I could not figure out
>>> how to get the installation on the second hard drive to boot.
>> The bios can see it all right w/out necessarily being able to boot
>> from it. If you look at the IDE devices in your bios, I'm betting
>> that they show up. That doesn't mean they're all bootable. Older
>> BIOSs may not boot from anything other than the primary master.
>
> No, bios cannot see it.  That is the strange and frustrating dilemma.
> It just does not show up there in the bios at all.

An earlier version of the server I have at home had a BIOS that couldn't
properly detect a driver larger than 8.4GB.  I had 2 60GB and 2 80GB
drives in it.  The bios would see them as 8.4GB drives.  I used a floppy
to boot the machine.  After Linux started loading, it detected the
drives properly.

Here's another one for you.  I have one of those USB hard drives.  I
plug it into my slackware 11 box, but can't mount it.  Lsusb shows the
drive. However when I try mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/whatever I get an
error message saying /dev/sda1 isn't a valid block device.  When I plug
in my mp3 player and enter mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/whatever it's
mounted and I can add files to or delete files from it.  Go figure.

--

"That income tax you know it's nothing more than legal robbery"
Sidney "Pa" Larkin