Backups - Offsite solutions -Security Regulations - LONG, DRAWN OUT REPLY

George Toft george at georgetoft.com
Sat Mar 31 10:41:23 MST 2007

I would have responded yesterday, but I was busy trying to break my new
qmail toaster instead of writing minor dissertations.  Fortunately, it
did not break - try as I might :)

As the VA incident of May, 2006 demonstrated, storing personal
information at home is a really BAD idea.  Storing data at home is
acceptable - see discussion about data vs. information below.

Part I
======

If your business is in the financial industry (about 30% of them are),
then you need to worry about the following:
* A.R.S. 44-7501 - Notification of breach of security system
* Gramm-Leach-Bliley Financial Modernization Act (GLBA)
* Sarbanes Oxley (if it is publicly traded, which it prolly is not).

A.R.S. 44-7501 says you (company, not Bryan) must notify affected
individuals if you lose control their personal information through a
breach in security.  See
http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/44/07501.htm&Title=44&DocType=ARS

GLBA says you have to take reasonable precautions to protect the data.
(So in one sentence, I summarized a several hour presentation.)
Reasonable means performing a risk assessment and implementing
countermeasures to the risks identified (along with a host of other
stuff).  It means having a security plan.  It means having a person
responsible for enforcing the plan.  Check out this questionnaire:
http://myitaz.com/assessment-glba.shtml  (page also links to the FTC's
web site).  Hint - "Yes" is the only correct answer - any "No" or "Don't
know" answers are problems.

SOX.  I'm not even going to touch SOX.

You might want to take a look here too:
http://myitaz.com/assessment-general.shtml

Part II
=======

Now to get to what you really want to know . . .

There is a service based out of Scottsdale called DataPreserve.  Off
site backup is all they do.  If you have small amounts of data (under 10
GB), it is fairly cost-effective - about $2/GB/Month.  Their client
works only on Windows :( .  The data is encrypted at the client, in
transit and at rest on their servers.  They have been very reliable,
although being the low-cost leader in that space, they are not 100%
available.  Fortunately, they communicate outages in advance, and the
planned outages are always at night so it  does not impact data
retrieval.  I can recall maybe 4 outages in the last year, so that puts
them in the 99+% available range.

The backup client is one of the best I've seen - even better than IBM's
Tivoli backup used in monster corporations.  (Better means easier to use
and robust in features.)  I have had to retrieve files from a certain
point in time - how it existed 2 weeks ago, not the previous version -
and it worked flawlessly.

This demonstrates the data is versioned as it is backed up.
Fortunately, they backup only the parts of the file that changed so they
are very frugal in data storage requirements.  Sounds like rsync, huh?
(There's a reason for that.)

DataPreserve information can be found here:
https://www.datapreserve.com/BackupToday/Default.aspx?agentcode=60000

DISCLAIMER: My previous company, which I am part owner, is an agent for
DataPreserve.  My new company, which I am THE owner, is becoming a
DataPreserve agent.  If you decide to go with DataPreserve, please
contact me for my new agent code.  If you can't wait, use agent code
60000 (the old company), and I'll get it transferred over.

</End Sales Speech>

(OK, maybe you didn't really want to know that.)

How does DataPreserve fit into a regulated industry?  (Read this slowly
and carefully.)  Since the information is encrypted with your key and
separated from the key, it becomes data.  Data is just a collection of
bits/bytes without context (see ISO definition of "data" and
"information" which is referred to by HIPAA legislation).  The
encryption key brings context to the data, giving it meaning, making it
information.  Since DataPreserve does not have the key, they do not have
to sign off on being a service provider with access to your information.
  They never have access to your information.

This same concept applies to encrypted hard drives.  If an encrypted
drive containing personal information is stolen, as long as the key is
not with the drive, a security breach has not occurred (as of today -
tomorrow when AES256 is real-time crackable, the story will change).

The outsourced (if any) IT professional that represents DataPreserve, on
the other hand - the person who has access to your information - is
required by Federal Law to sign a contract with you to protect your
data.  (Take the GLBA self-assessment above and it will give you the
references to this statement.)

Part III
========

If you want to slap a cheap box in a colo, I would suggest using RAID1
and an encrypted filesystem.  Transfer the data using rsync over ssh or
use a VPN.

Depending on how much data you have should help you decide if the labor
involved in building the colo box + colo fees is better than
DataPreserve.  Also consider the job of monitoring your backups and
alerting if any are missed.  (Yes, I built one of these and still
maintain it.)

DIYBU (Do It Yourself Back Up) and DP (DataPreserve) each have their
strengths and weaknesses.  I've done both.  I've done both at the same
time for the ultimate in backup.

Part IV
=======

Feel free to call me.