Old Hardware

chip33az at netscape.net chip33az at netscape.net
Fri Mar 30 14:11:36 MST 2007

jeff at crystalclearsoftware.com wrote:
> vodhner at cox.net wrote:
>
>> Jeff Garland wrote:
>>
>>> Well, except AZstruct gave me Thinkpad memory . . . so that
>>> I could  upgrade some laptops . . . which I install Linux on
>>>
>> Really.  Give 'em a break, they're the good guys too.
>>

> I think you mistook my statement -- I *was* supporting AZstrut.  They helped
> me and the school out....I happened to use Linux for that project.
>

>> I'm sure AzSTRUT has a lot of clients who need to have Windows
>> (ref. my previous posting) to meet their immediate needs.  I recently
>> set up a machine that could run XP but not Xubuntu.  (I dual-booted
>> it with Feather Linux, but that was really lame.)  XP tends to run,
>> along a fashion, on a lot of those old boxes with PCI devices.  So
>> it makes sense for an outfit like AzSTRUT, concerned mostly with
>> the hardware, to use the OS most likely to plug and play.
>>

> I'm a big supporter of free software, but I have no problem with people using
> Windows including kids, schools, etc.  AzStrut can cater to both.  The world
> will be just fine with both kinds of software -- sorry, I don't mean to
> inflame any 'purests' on the list.
>

>> BTW, when I got my new 22" monitor, I took the business to Data Doctors
>> expecting to pay a premium.  I told them I wanted to do some business
>> with them in thanks for their accepting all my old junk for AzSTRUT.
>> But it turns out they beat Best Buy and Fry's prices for equivalent
>> hardware.  :-)
>>

> Wow, that's interesting...I'll have to drop in to Data Doctors...
>
> Jeff

I'll have to remember that.  I called them and they have two locations
that accept the hardware (not the one by the house :( ).  Still, I will
drop the stuff off with them.

Way off topic, and don't tar/feather me, but I was thinking of getting a
Mac for my mother.  Anyone use one?  I haven't used one since college.