Old Hardware

Jeff Garland jeff at crystalclearsoftware.com
Fri Mar 30 13:58:11 MST 2007

vodhner at cox.net wrote:
> Jeff Garland wrote:
>> Well, except AZstruct gave me Thinkpad memory . . . so that
>> I could  upgrade some laptops . . . which I install Linux on
>
> Really.  Give 'em a break, they're the good guys too.

I think you mistook my statement -- I *was* supporting AZstrut.  They helped
me and the school out....I happened to use Linux for that project.

> I'm sure AzSTRUT has a lot of clients who need to have Windows
> (ref. my previous posting) to meet their immediate needs.  I recently
> set up a machine that could run XP but not Xubuntu.  (I dual-booted
> it with Feather Linux, but that was really lame.)  XP tends to run,
> along a fashion, on a lot of those old boxes with PCI devices.  So
> it makes sense for an outfit like AzSTRUT, concerned mostly with
> the hardware, to use the OS most likely to plug and play.

I'm a big supporter of free software, but I have no problem with people using
Windows including kids, schools, etc.  AzStrut can cater to both.  The world
will be just fine with both kinds of software -- sorry, I don't mean to
inflame any 'purests' on the list.

> BTW, when I got my new 22" monitor, I took the business to Data Doctors
> expecting to pay a premium.  I told them I wanted to do some business
> with them in thanks for their accepting all my old junk for AzSTRUT.
> But it turns out they beat Best Buy and Fry's prices for equivalent
> hardware.  :-)

Wow, that's interesting...I'll have to drop in to Data Doctors...

Jeff