Accelerated Open Source OpenGL in Linux WAS RIP: Linux Community (1991-2007)

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Thu Mar 29 21:43:25 MST 2007

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 05:58:12PM -0700, JT Moree wrote:
> Is there a viable open source driver for any commercially viable video
> hardware that will give me hardware accelerated OpenGL?  (Intel
> announced open sourcing it's video stuff recently.  anyone use it?)
>
> It doesn't have to be the fastest and best performance available--but I
> want accelerated OpenGL and NO it's not for playing games.
>
> Until I can answer that question I have no choice but to use proprietary
>  nvidia (or whatever) drivers on my system.

I don't know of any right now, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.
If not, keep asking that question!

Not all that long ago, the same was true for wifi. A big push was made
for docs and all the big USA companies refused. Several companies from
Taiwan complied happily and gave over good enough docs to write solid
drivers. It's possible to do the same with video.

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/