Why we are all here (was Re: audio cd)

Nathan Aubrey nathan at paysonlinux.org
Thu Mar 29 07:30:26 MST 2007

On Wednesday 28 March 2007, you wrote:
> As someone who joined this list at 15 (I won't be 16 until July), I think
> it's appropriate here for me to add my "two cents."
>
> I've seen a few "flames" and a few clashes of opinion on this mailing list
> since joining, but for the most part, that's been unintimidating. A mailing
> list is an easy forum to walk away from. Flames typically aren't directed
> at me, and so as someone watching from the sides, I don't observe anything
> other than just people. People don't get along sometimes. That's just the
> way it works.
>
> Another aspect of this list, in my opinion, that diminishes the potential
> abrasiveness of so-called flames is that this list is so informally
> structured. Because it is, there really are no "higher ups." This list
> basically consists of either newbies or old-timers, but as far as I can
> tell, it doesn't say which is better than other. Respect is earned not
> simply through technical knowledge, but through helpfulness and personal
> presentation. Because of this, if I'm faced with a personal insult, I can
> handle it because it's just some guy; he doesn't mean anything, he doesn't
> lead the group, he may not even provide direction for the group. In a
> community where there are no formal leaders, there can also be no
> individual who is completely reflective of the community.
>
> The other thing, maybe for me, is that before I really started
> participating in this list, I attended a meeting and an installfest or two.
> Attending those allowed me to meet many individuals who belong to this
> list, and seeing them in an environment based around simple helpfulness at
> installfests or sharing of knowledge at a meeting reminds you that the
> ultimate goals of the members of this list are essentially the same: simple
> participation, simple community, and that despite whatever views clash and
> however brusque any particular member is, this list consists of people that
> have feelings, moral judgements, and a general good will towards each
> other.
>
> I specifically remember the first meeting I attended, there was supposed to
> be a brief presentation on desktop acceleration. I had no history with this
> group, I wasn't active on the mailing list. I said I had done a little
> playing around with XGL and AIGLX, and thought I might be able to add
> something to the presentation, or show a few tricks. The so-called
> "leaders" of PLUG just let me (at least try to) do my thing without
> considering my age or my lack of history with the group. This group is full
> of knowledgeable, helpful, and ultimately (and most importantly) genuinely
> good people. If you haven't seen this or noticed this, I encourage you to
> attend a meeting or an installfest, and see for yourself.
>
> You may find friendly faces more inviting than dark words on a bright
> screen, even if you've already found the list itself to be inviting.
>
> --Patrick C.

I appreciate what you say. Well spoken. I do not disagree with you, this group
is very impressive with its ability to help out. I live a few hours away, so
I can't make it to any meetings, though some day I would like to. The only
thing I ever managed to make it to was a lunch at a park in Awahtukee a few
years ago. Which was a lot of fun, but I've never made it to a meeting or
installfest!

Nathan

PaysonLinux User Group
Community Based Linux Support
http://www.paysonlinux.org/

Business Consulting Services,
Advanced Network and Server Design,
Security Solutions,
Process Management and Efficiency Consultations