Query/Form Builder / Database

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 27 06:18:22 MST 2007

I'm not sure if you can still get FoxPro 2.6 for UNIX, however this is about as close to access as you will get.

FoxPro is a stronger database and was created for developers.  It does have a command window and I saw FoxPro 2.6 Windows in use by financial analysts in a large corp. about 10 years ago.

I was a FoxPro developer and did from time to time aid the financial analysts push their envelope.

This was an environment where the data in a mini computer running a specialized application was exported in DBF format.  As I recall there were 154 tables each containing anywhere from a few thousand to over a million records.  This data was relational and spanned.   Spanned meaning one had to add a date to the query to rebuild an event.

The financial analysts seemed to to do well using FoxPro Windows.

I have not seen the Unix version, however I have read that it is very similar or almost identical to the DOS or Windows version.

I think there was also a version for the MAC.

M$ bought FoxPro.  It has been said they bought FoxPro for it's Rushmore technology.  They quickly started to kill it.  7 or 8 years ago FoxPro skills where in demand.  The best desktop database ever made and the Visual versions came with a bunch of stuff.  I miss FoxPro.

Bryan O'Neal <BONeal at cornerstonehome.com> wrote:     What do people  recommend for a good, easy to use, small company database app with query and  form builders?  I have a small group of people sharing a nasty set of excel  files and I want to move them up in the world, but I don't want to teach them to  be DBA's and I don't want to do everything for them, all I want to do is set up  the schema, import the data, write a few quays and let them play.   Basically I am looking for the open/free version of MS Access.  And don't  tell me I need to run some $20K Oracle installation for 5 people to share a  customer database. I have heard it all before, Don't let the end users have  control, don't use DA's that don't have advanced permissions and record lock,  etc. I have heard it all before and I still believe in application appropriate  complexity.  I realy am looking for easy to use, but I have never used any  (Other then Access, and I don't want to suport MS if I don't have  to)

 Suggestions?

Keith Smith
A link from my website to yours
Submit Your Metro Phoenix Website