intro to the desktop

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon Mar 26 19:33:05 MST 2007

Am 26. Mar, 2007 schwätzte Mike Schwartz so:

> On 3/25/07, der.hans <PLUGd at lufthans.com> wrote:
>>
>> moin moin,
>>
>> a couple of years ago I did a desktop class once a month for PLUG. The
>> class ran for a year.
>>
>> Recently I've gotten requests to start that class again.
>>
>> This is the type of thing we've been wanting to do with the new magazine
>> format for the general meetings. It would be awesome to have 10 to 20 30
>> minute presentations we could do as part of a series.
>>
>> I'm going to start something along those lines at the west side meeting
>> this week.
>>
>> Since I mostly need desktop for multiple xterms and web browsers I'm not
>> the best situated to decide what should be in the class.
>>
>> I figure I'll start with the Ubuntu Desktop Guide.
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/ubuntu/desktopguide/C/index.html
>>
>> I will follow a different order, though. For instance, I will likely skip
>> the file systems part for now. I got a specific request for that from
>> someone from the west side today, so maybe I won't...
>>
>> Maybe there are resources at LinuxQuestions or LinuxNewbie we can use.
>>
>> PLUG needs someone besides me to help us figure out what should be in the
>> desktop class. We also need people to help us find and/or create content
>> to be used for the presentations.
>>
>> The content could be a little document for the instructor on what to walk
>> through for the presentation. Some things certainly don't lend themselves
>> to slideshow presentations, plus we have computers to use, so hands on
>> would be much better in most cases.
>>
>> We definitely need help from people new to GNU/Linux as you'll have the
>> freshest perspectives.
>>
>> ciao,
>>
>> der.hans
>> --
>> #  https://www.LuftHans.com/   [...]
>>

> I might be interested.
> Any info as to the place & time[s]?

As the first part of the normal west side and east side meetings.

I will be doing something this Wednesday as part of this month's west side
meeting.

ciao,

der.hans
#  "I guess I should've agreed with my boss more often. Today I was replaced
#  by a bobblehead doll!" -- Randy Glasbergen, 13Mar2006