NetworkManager and DNS

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Mon Mar 26 10:57:20 MST 2007

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 06:34:58AM -0700, Daniel P. Stasinski wrote:
> > For some dumb reason, NetworkManager doesn't support static IP
> > addresses, so it just wipes the resolv.conf when it starts up
>
> Yep, that's pretty much the problem, and since my router always
> returns invalid DNS information, I have to hand edit resolv.conf every
> time I log in.  I can set static DNS in the router's config but it
> still returns invalid information to the DHCP clients.
>
> > chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf
>
> I tried this but then nm-applet sits there spinning for as long as I'm
> logged in.  Workable, but annoying.

I haven't been following this thread, so sorry if this has already come
up...

I'm not familiar with NetworkManager, but there's a good chance that
it's using the normal dhclient under the hood to deal with dhcp. If so,
then you should be able to edit your /etc/dhclient.conf a bit and solve
this. The trick here would be the 'supersede' setting. I do this on my
laptop like this:

supersede domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;

This is for my local, caching-only name server. You may list multiple
servers, etc. You can also use 'supersede' with other options as well,
if you don't like the domain name dhcp hands out, for instance.

I hope this is on target...

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/