NetworkManager and DNS

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 10:57:09 MST 2007

Maybe this is a dumb suggestion, but what if you put a DHCP server on the
box where you have your DNS, have that DHCP server return its address as the
DNS server in the DHCP offer, and change the router so it is not a DHCP
server.  Seems like then it would not matter if network manager overwrote
resolv.conf since it would be the info of your choosing.  I should think
this would work even if you are set up for static IPs.  But then my
networking  knowlege fits in a tiny box inside the house of networking
information.

On 3/26/07, Daniel P. Stasinski <mooooooo at avenues.org> wrote:

> > For some dumb reason, NetworkManager doesn't support static IP
> > addresses, so it just wipes the resolv.conf when it starts up
>
> Yep, that's pretty much the problem, and since my router always
> returns invalid DNS information, I have to hand edit resolv.conf every
> time I log in.  I can set static DNS in the router's config but it
> still returns invalid information to the DHCP clients.
>
> > chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf
>
> I tried this but then nm-applet sits there spinning for as long as I'm
> logged in.  Workable, but annoying.
>
> Daniel

and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss