Wireless on new laptop

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 10:35:57 MST 2007

I have it working now (I think), and thought I would give an update for
closure.

There are several bug reports and a lot of material on the web about
wpasupplicant not working for WEP protocal.  Apparently somewhere along the
road ubuntu began installing NetworkManager by default and it began using
version 0.6?) of wpasupplicant.  Whatever of the many differing opinions and
fixes published on the web, it seems this was a fatal combination to many
WEP users and resulted in bug reports, "fixes", and work-arounds.  As usul,
there differed greatly and some were dated.

I tried a number of the solutions with no success.  I believe I backed them
all out completely.  Finally, I threw in the towel and began switching to
WPA.  But then that did not work either.  Back to WEP so at least the TiVo
unitstill worked.

I have used WiFi Radar for a long time on my other laptop.  But Joe Zagar
told me it messed him up royally so I uninstalled it from the new machine.
That did not seem to help immediately, but later when I restarted for a
different reason, I found I was connected to my WEP based network.  So it
APPEARS that WiFi Radar was my culprit, but I do not feel comfortable with
that as a conclusion.  Anyone have a related experience?

and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss