"way down the list"... (was: Re: Free vs. No Cost -- OT -- off-topic rant.)

Mike Schwartz mike.l.schwartz at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 18:27:31 MST 2007

On 3/20/07, Josef Lowder <joe at actionline.com> wrote:

> .
> On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, der.hans wrote
> > I'm trying to emphasize Free as in Freedom whenever I say Free
> > Software, therefore I want another phrase for no cost ...
>
> The real meaning of the word "free" ...
>
> Dictionary.com lists 22 entries for the word "free,"
> the first of which lists 49 separate meanings. A review
> of the abbreviated essence of each is illuminating.
>
> One of my pet peeves [...snip...]
>
> (Note: "without cost" is way down the list at #36.)
>
> 1. [...snip...]

    (see parent post for detailed list...)

In general I agree with you, your point is well taken.
However, in the nano nitpick sense,

> (Note: "without cost" is way down the list at #36.)

seems to be a bit of an exaggeration, since 11 and 12:
> 11. not subject to a charge or payment: free parking or a free sample
> 12. given without expectation of return or reward, as in free advice
have a similar meaning to
> 36. without cost, payment, or charge
, and they [11 & 12] are only a small (small to medium)
fraction of the way down the list.
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale  AZ