Free vs. No Cost

Scott spbz at cox.net
Wed Mar 21 01:33:02 MST 2007

Well, beer costs money to make one way or another.  So a free beer is
only going to taste good if it's chilled.  In order to maintain that
level of coolness, the proper precautions must be met in order to
deliver that beer to the counter.

Anyone is free to say anything they want, regardless of the
consequences.  Once people start figuring out that some people get upset
(and justifiably at that!) at certain speech, they begin to alter the
way they speak in an effort to keep that speech free separated from
harassment.

Certainly, there is no cost to the end user of a free beer.  Simply
consume and enjoy.  Cheering about it would constitute free speech,
indeed.  For free speech, there is no price.

No cost. (beer)
No price. (speech)

The difference?  According to Webster's dictionary, 'price' refers to
the value or worth of something.  'Cost' refers to the expense or
penalty that it takes to produce something.

This seems rather like an analogy to source code and compiled binaries.

There are the basic building blocks of the word 'Free', as used with the
term "Free Software", as I have interpreted them.  Of course, that's
just my interpretation, and as such is open to scrutiny, argument and
debate.

-Scott