Free vs. No Cost

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Tue Mar 20 18:11:30 MST 2007

Am 20. Mar, 2007 schwätzte Darrin Chandler so:

> On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 06:01:30PM -0700, der.hans wrote:
>> Does using no cost help differentiate the no cost definition from the
>> unfettered and freedom definitions of free?
>
> When you say 'free' to the typical American it already means 'no cost.'
> When you talk to FOSS people and say 'no cost' it's probably obvious
> that you mean "as in beer."
>
> It's the "Free as in Freedom" term that's trouble getting across by
> saying 'free.' And 'libre' just doesn't fit into normal conversation
> well.

Not in english. Unfettered doesn't fill the normal vocabulary bill either.

I'm trying to emphasize Free as in Freedom whenever I say Free Software,
therefore I want another phrase for no cost when I talk about free as in
beer.

ciao,

der.hans
#  C'est la Net - der.hans