Network Mapper

Nathan Aubrey nathan at paysonlinux.org
Mon Mar 19 22:26:40 MST 2007

On Monday 19 March 2007, Bryan O'Neal wrote:
> I am looking for something free and Linux based, that will probe my
> subnet and return stack information, at  the very least the MAC
> associated with the IP.  If it is SQL and open source then I should be
> able to pull port to MAC information off of my devices and dynamically
> set logical data on a physical map.
>
> But the more it does for me the happier I am :-)
>

> Oh, and Cacti is working now.  For what ever reason I got more
> frustrated and restarted my computer, then it worked.  But the logs are
> still an hour off <Shrug>
>

> Bryan O'Neal
> Cornerstone Homes & Development, Inc.
> 4220 E. McDowell Rd Ste. #108
> Mesa, AZ 85215
> (480) 505-1900

It's ugly, but what I do is this

nmap 10.0.1.* | tee ip_map.log
arp -a | tee mac_map.log

If I'm in a hurry, I will just do

nmap -sP 10.0.1.* | tee ip_map.log
arp -a | tee mac_map.log

But usually, nmap -sP ip-range will give me all the ip-mac addresses.
If something shows up with missing info, then I know someone else is on the
network, because DHCP assigns by the macs and only to macs it knows.

PaysonLinux User Group
Community Based Linux Support
http://www.paysonlinux.org/

Business Consulting Services,
Advanced Network and Server Design,
Security Solutions,
Process Management and Efficiency Consultations