Wireless on new laptop

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 16:50:08 MST 2007

I never had done any configuration using iwconfig (except once to change out
of open mode per your suggestion.  Any other configuration was done using
the menu item System/Administration/Networking which brings up the same
windows as if I run network-manager from the command line.  It provides very
few options unless you count the options for static IPs etc.  Before I left
the house I loaded wifi radar which I used on my old laptop and had no luck.

I am down at the clubhouse now using the open wifi there which came up after
I futzed a bit with wifi radar AND went back to network-manager and turned
everything off including eth0 (wired connection not available here).  I wish
I could be more precise, but my frustration level is now through the roof so
I am less coherent ATM.

One thing that REALLY bothers me is that Linux people have been doing
networking well much longer than Microsoft but this is truly trivial in M$
Windows.  That is just wrong on so many levels!!!  Seems like the Linux
world is focused on fixed location handling while Windows has addressed the
mobility issue better.

Anyway, I will be heading over to EVALUG in an hour or so.  Maybe Eric will
be there to help though I kind of doubt it.