How to send a fax via DSL? Re sorta OT

eculbert eculbert at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 17 07:20:02 MST 2007

Branching the subject slightly. Also, for those that
may at some future date, be out of range of cable or
dsl and have to use dialup, IF the phone line coming
onto your property has two lines/numbers, you wont get
56k either. Reason, it costs a couple thousand dollars
for a second 'pure' line equipment wise, wire wise
etc, but the phone company can install a simple cheap
splitter on that ONE wire and each phone sounds fine,
but the MAX speed is now 1/2! So about 26.4kbs is it.
In fact, they can split that one wire 4 ways. Just
imagine sitting there at 12kbs dialup!! I knew one
person that had that and the phone company wouldn't do
a thing. The former owner had 4 phone lines put in as
he ran a business there years before. And that was
'out of range' of the dsl and cox didn't do cable
modems there yet either.

US WEST, the former phone co, wanted about $2k to run
a clean 56k capable line into the property!! They
wouldn't just take out the splitters on that line! I
have a word for them, but it isn't allowed on this
list!

How do I know, Been involved with that mess. TWICE!!
Sure is a PITA sitting there at 26.4kbs with a 56k
modem. I have dsl now, but that was what I had years
ago.

One apartment I had, on the bright side, with dialup
would most of the time give speeds of 90kbs or so. I
had a USR modem that for some reason would walk that
fast when the line did let it.

Ed Culbertson/ke7feg
Remember Katrina?
For several days, only hams could get out,
and talk to others dependably.

No Morse Code required after Feb 23, 2007!
Just pass the written tests!
http://www.arrl.org/

Long live Knoppix, and Puppy Live Linux cd's.