How to send a fax via DSL?

Bryan O'Neal BONeal at cornerstonehome.com
Fri Mar 16 21:06:36 MST 2007

Just out of curiosity, why not?  If I can use an old school voice phone
to send regular voice data down a DSL line using a filter, why can I not
send a fax?  After all it is just the same as a voice phone call.  All
the fax or modem does is push the data across in a standard set of
audible tones, no different then a voice call.  The only thing I can see
is if they compressed the voice channel so much that the tones can not
be correctly received, but then you should notice a difference in the
voice quality to right?

I remember really old school modems and fax machines that did not even
plug into the wall, they just had a mike and speaker you set your phone
hand set on.

I can send faxes with my Cox digital phone at home and at work I have
old school faxes going through an IP based PBX and over a T1, I would
think you could send one over DSL but never had a chance to try it.  I
would love to know what is going on that would prevent it.  (And this is
the place with people in the know ;)