Verifying software RAID performance

Daniel Parraz daniyel95 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 7 09:26:11 MST 2007

The most common command to check the status is:

cat /proc/mdstat

This shows the personality of the raid device(0,1,5), and the status of the disk's in the brackets, if they are up, or one has failed. I think 'U' for each disk means it's up and running.

Unfortunately, I don't have a box available right now to SSH into to give you the break down of the info you will see running that command. The Oreilly book referred to from Eric is in my bookshelf, but I rarely use it since I can do software raid 1 in my sleep now, but haven't messed with sw raid 5 enough to give that book away.

Hope this helps.

Daniel Parraz

"Eric \"Shubes\"" <plug at shubes.net> wrote: md (raid driver) uses syslogd and reports via LOG_KERN, so you can use
whatever log monitoring tool(s) you'd like.

You can also use mdadm in monitor mode.

raidtools is the traditional package for software raid. You should consider
using mdadm instead or in addition to.

"Managing Raid on Linux" (O'Reilly) is a very good reference/guide.

Randy Melder wrote:
> Group,
>
> I have a handful of boxes running Linux software RAID. 2 IDE and 2 SCSI
> to be precise.
>
> My question is: how can I monitor the status/health from the shell?
>
> thanks!
>
> ; ) .randy

-Eric 'shubes'