Stupid users

Jim arizona.anorak at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 04:42:11 MST 2007

tuna at supertunaman.com wrote:
> lol nice. Do you actually know anyone who does this?

These are things I've heard of people doing.  Some I've talked to myself.

I've talked to people who were affected by one exploit or another.  I
used to know one guy who listens to talk radio all the time.  These
stations have one or two breaks for news each hour.  So he's bound to
have heard the warnings.  One day he told me his system had been
affected.  I asked him if he made the suggested updates to his system.
He replied that he just didn't think about it.

> never updates his anti virus software.  When asked how long it's been
> since he updated it, he says "Update?"

I set up some anti virus software for a friend's uncle.  I told him it
would automatically update itself every week or so.  I also told him he
would see a window appear telling him the software was updating itself.
    I then told him about the warning the installation program gave me
saying it wouldn't let him send any email if the virus definitions were
too far out of date.

A couple of months later he called me saying he couldn't send any email.
  I asked him if the anti virus software had been updating itself.  He
said that some window started appearing every time he started the
computer, but he would click cancel to get rid of it.

> responds to those emails he gets that are supposedly from ebay, his bank
> or whoever.

Somebody must be doing this.  If nobody ever responded to these scams,
the people behind them would eventually give up.

> uses his credit card to pay for something that's illegal where he lives
> such as drugs or porn.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=2900174&page=1
Do a google search for Charles Rust-Tierney and you'll find several more
sources covering the same story.

http://www.mlive.com/news/jacitpat/index.ssf?/base/news-20/1171796715245100.xml&coll=3
 From the article:

"Flick and Lazarus were nabbed in Operation Falcon, a nationwide
crackdown on child pornography. Federal officials said their credit card
information was seized in a raid of offices serving Internet porn sites."

Then there are the druggies.
http://www.uticaod.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070303/NEWS/703030340/1001

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Sports/561957.html

http://www.wesh.com/news/11137065/detail.html

--

"That income tax you know it's nothing more than legal robbery"
Sidney "Pa" Larkin