Net Log Managment

Bryan O'Neal BONeal at cornerstonehome.com
Tue Mar 6 19:47:15 MST 2007

My network devices provide a wealth of data, but this data is very short
lived on the device.  I used kiwi sysloger on my windows box, but was not
overly happy with it.  Can any one recommend a good syslog viewer?

Also, I am looking to keep a better track on what is going on on my network.
My switches allow me to port mirror to a box but I am not sure the best way
to collect and analyze data.  I am mostly interested in bandwidth usage, and
simple breakdowns of the kind of data (web, smb, windows file sharing,
email, gnutella clients, etc.) Not only for bandwidth control, but also to
track down rouge devices on my network.  I am also interested in tracking
what web pages my users visit (this company is squeaky clean, but their has
been talk of banning more then myspace and I want the data I need to keep
our network as free as possible for our users.

Any suggestions?