UNIX- Grad-daddy of all modern operating systems?

Lynn Newton lynn.newton at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 14:40:38 MST 2007

BTW, I took my first programming class in 1966, three years
before Unix was invented.

I learned a programming language called SCATR for an IBM mainframe
(the 360? or maybe that came later), which was pretty close to
assembly language, and had to enter my programs on IBM punch
cards which I would hand to a technician and hope he didn't
drop them. Then I'd come back in 6 or 8 hours (sometimes at 2:00am)
to pick up the output of my program -- which more often than not
would say SYNTAX ERROR.

Didn't take much of that for me to lose my taste for it.

The course I took was called "Computer Programming for Musicians".
The University of Illinois was then the world's leading center for
research in electronic and computer assisted music composition,
and I was a music composition major.

But I'm sure there are a number of subscribers to this list
who can one-up me with "I remember when" stories, by margins
of several years at least.

I realize the original subject talks about "modern" operating
systems, but I couldn't resist the urge to reminisce.

--
Lynn