UNIX- Grad-daddy of all modern operating systems?

Lynn Newton lynn.newton at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 14:33:41 MST 2007

Well, plenty of operating systems existed before Unix, which
came into being starting in 1969. But before that there were
all kinds of OS's.

Microsoft borrowed and corrupted some perfectly good ideas
from Unix, then proceded to mess them up royally.

With Apple there is pre-OS X and after OS X. OS X, of course
*is* based on a fairly modern version of open source BSD
Unix. Before that, it was its own kind of animal with only
similarities to other OSs.

> Is that true? I thought I had read that Microsoft was built on top of UNIX at
> one time. What about Apple?

If it makes you happy to use the metaphor, then go for it.

--
Lynn