Mail Servers and DIY

Michael Sammartano volinaz at cox.net
Thu Jun 28 09:58:13 MST 2007

AH, I see.. That is the problem sometime when dealing with small registrars. I have used GoDaddy in the past, but I like 1and1 better. I still do not use them for DNS though as I hate the 1and1 interface. I am using zoneedit and aside from the occasional ip change I have not had any issues in 8+ years.. I wish you the best of luck. I would probrably set up the purchase of the domain through 1and1 immediately and let the the other account expire. As soon as it expires and 1and1 spots it (automagiclly) it will again be yours!!

If I may be of further assistance, do not hesitate to contact me..

Michael
michael.s at iconnetworksolutions.com
---- Nathan Aubrey <nathan at paysonlinux.org> wrote:

=============
On Thursday 28 June 2007, you wrote:
> Nathan,
>
> If you own the domain name it doesn't matter who is managing the original
> registrar is, thus awaiting domain expiration is not an issue. My actions
> would first include, logging in (or attempting to login to) the current
> domain controller for the said domain account. If it is the old registrar,
> they can not stop you from controlling the dns as you have paid for that
> right for one or more years. You login should still be valid. If you can
> not access this info, I would email the heck out of their admins or tech
> supprot and request/demand they make the neccessary changes to "your
> domain". I would then make sure you have an account with a free dns manager
> (such as zoneedit.com). Send the current registrar the dns info from them
> and have them fix that part. I would also recommend making creating that
> record within zoneedit prior to their response. What is the current domain
> name you are having issues with? You have not specified this yet, and where
> is it ending up, such as a parked page?? Is there a web site attached to
> the domain or just an email server with an mx address? I need more
> specifics to help you any farther. DNS is not complicated at all, you just
> need to be as specific as possible. Also what is needed is the ip for your
> server (from your isp, not the internal). What ports are you trying to use?
> Is it a commercial internet service account? WHO is the isp? Feel free to
> contacy me off list for the sake of security.
>
> Michael
> michael.s at iconnetworksolutions.com

Originally the domain, tontoapache.com was purchased through OnlineNIC who now
refuses to answer phones, but today I got a hold of someone and he told me I
need to talk to iPowerWeb as OnlineNIC can't do anything. I have an account
with iPowerWeb but it does not let me do much with the DNS. I have an account
with afraid.org for DNS if only I can move the nameservers with iPowerWeb.
iPowerWeb is not responding to ANY of my calls or emails. So I got smart and
emailed the billing department telling them my domain was about to expire and
I really wanted to pay for it! and, of course, someone responded within
minutes giving me all the information I needed to pay. I wrote back with a
simple question, they responded confirming a real person, I wrote back
telling them what I really wanted to do and once again, back to talking to a
brick wall!

I have figured out how to make the changes with iPowerWeb, assuming they
acknowledge my emails in the tech department, but at this point I am soooo
pissed off, I want nothing to do with them. I want to transfer to 1&1 and
stick with afraid.org for DNS.

But, today, all my email problems seem to be fixed as we are receiving email
again...

Nathan

Please visit
http://www.iconnetworksolutions.com