Mail Servers and DIY

Nathan Aubrey nathan at paysonlinux.org
Thu Jun 28 09:50:01 MST 2007

On Thursday 28 June 2007, you wrote:
> Nathan,
>
> If you own the domain name it doesn't matter who is managing the original
> registrar is, thus awaiting domain expiration is not an issue. My actions
> would first include, logging in (or attempting to login to) the current
> domain controller for the said domain account. If it is the old registrar,
> they can not stop you from controlling the dns as you have paid for that
> right for one or more years. You login should still be valid. If you can
> not access this info, I would email the heck out of their admins or tech
> supprot and request/demand they make the neccessary changes to "your
> domain". I would then make sure you have an account with a free dns manager
> (such as zoneedit.com). Send the current registrar the dns info from them
> and have them fix that part. I would also recommend making creating that
> record within zoneedit prior to their response. What is the current domain
> name you are having issues with? You have not specified this yet, and where
> is it ending up, such as a parked page?? Is there a web site attached to
> the domain or just an email server with an mx address? I need more
> specifics to help you any farther. DNS is not complicated at all, you just
> need to be as specific as possible. Also what is needed is the ip for your
> server (from your isp, not the internal). What ports are you trying to use?
> Is it a commercial internet service account? WHO is the isp? Feel free to
> contacy me off list for the sake of security.
>
> Michael
> michael.s at iconnetworksolutions.com

Originally the domain, tontoapache.com was purchased through OnlineNIC who now
refuses to answer phones, but today I got a hold of someone and he told me I
need to talk to iPowerWeb as OnlineNIC can't do anything. I have an account
with iPowerWeb but it does not let me do much with the DNS. I have an account
with afraid.org for DNS if only I can move the nameservers with iPowerWeb.
iPowerWeb is not responding to ANY of my calls or emails. So I got smart and
emailed the billing department telling them my domain was about to expire and
I really wanted to pay for it! and, of course, someone responded within
minutes giving me all the information I needed to pay. I wrote back with a
simple question, they responded confirming a real person, I wrote back
telling them what I really wanted to do and once again, back to talking to a
brick wall!

I have figured out how to make the changes with iPowerWeb, assuming they
acknowledge my emails in the tech department, but at this point I am soooo
pissed off, I want nothing to do with them. I want to transfer to 1&1 and
stick with afraid.org for DNS.

But, today, all my email problems seem to be fixed as we are receiving email
again...

Nathan