ffmpeg on ?

KevinO kevin at kevino.org
Mon Jun 25 13:24:15 MST 2007

Vaughn Treude wrote:
> For most things, the configure/make/install sequence has worked fine for
> me.  It's a pain, though, when there are a lot of small pieces.
It is a huge pain on an older system like this.

> I've used yum and apt-get but wasn't aware of urpmi.  Is it in any way
> related to rpmdrake?
rpmdrake is a graphical front-end for urpmi. I suggest urpmi/urpmf/urpme/urpmq
from the command line because they work well and you can see and diagnose errors
more easily than you can with rpmdrake. Also, the command line tools provide a
lot more flexibility and functionality.

More information:

   http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Urpmi

   http://mandrakehelp.com/RPM-HOWTO.html

Some often used variations of the commands, there are others...

To remove a package

 # urpme <pkgname>

To query detailed information about a package

 # urpmq -i <pkgname>

To find out which package supplied a certain

 # urpmf /path/to/file/name

To bring your local database up-to-date with all your mirror sources

 # urpmi.update -a

To install all available updated packages, including security updates

 # urpmi --update --auto-select

> Why do you have to "remove" the CD?
You don't have to, but it is a needless inconvenience to install packages from
the CDs after the installation is completed, assuming you have a reasonably fast
internet connection. Everything that you need is on the mirrors, and will be
located and installed without having to drag out and swap CDs. Many of the
packages have been updated: rendering the packages on the CDs obsolete anyway.

Occasionally you might have a problem with a messed-up mirror. In that case, use
urpmi.removemedia and urpmi.addmedia to switch to a working mirror.

- --
KevinO