Internet woes

Robert N. Eaton Motheaton28 at aol.com
Sun Jun 24 08:31:00 MST 2007

I've been having trouble with email and accessing the net for some time
now. Yesterday, my install of Fedora 7 (which didn't connect to the net)
choked and refused to boot. I tried rescue disk, etc., but I couldn't
revive it.

I re-installed Fedora 7 for the fourth time, using the _customize now_
option, so that I could use KDE (which I prefer to Gnome.) I tried
Firefox and wonder of wonders, it connected to Google and all kinds of
web sites.  I installed Thunderbird, and it cheerfully connected to
aol.com and fetched my mail, just as it should. Finally! Linux is
working just as I remembered it did.

I shut down and rebooted to see if I could get to WinXP, which booted
correctly, with web and email access. I rebooted to Fedora 7 and all was
well.  I did some housekeeping to get Fedora configured to my liking. I
sent myself some test messages. They went through without a hitch.  Then
I shut the computer down and returned to it some hours later.

I booted up and attempted to get my mail. No Thunderbird connection to
aol.com, and few Firefox connections to the web. WinXP works fine, so it
doesn't appear to be the DSL modem. I remember that one kind responder
suggested that I test the memory. I downloaded Knoppix, but I couldn't
convince WinXP to burn a proper .iso image.

I'll buy a new memory stick and see if that makes a difference.

Otherwise I'm frustrateder and baffleder than I was before, if that were
possible ;-).

Bob Eaton