Help with syslog

Bryan O'Neal BONeal at cornerstonehome.com
Wed Jun 20 18:36:15 MST 2007

I have a dozen or so devices that shoot me syslog info and, I will
admit, up until now I have been using a windows box as my syslog server.
Now I want to use my linux box.  I have two nicks in my linux box and I
pointed my devices to the IP of eth0.  I then added local0.* through
local6.* to my syslog.conf and pointed them to respective logs.  I
restarted syslog (service syslog restart) and eagerly awaited
information, but none arrived.

I have grand ideas about collecting information like:   Wed, 2007-06-20
17:29:18 - TCP packet - Source: 192.168.26.50 - Destination:
216.252.124.27 - [Attempt to access URl:  thmg01.video.search.yahoo.com
Src 3782 Dst 80 from LAN]   and then colleting it together in useful
ways.  But for now I can not get my linux box to do anything but sit
their like a cold fish, and quite frankly I do not know where to look
for the problem.

Suggestions?

Bryan O'Neal
Cornerstone Homes & Development, Inc.