GNU/Linux support

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Fri Jun 15 13:45:20 MST 2007

der.hans wrote:

> Alan just had a post about RHEL being $2k for some application stack. Is
> that RH's normal contract cost?

Here are Red Hat's products:

https://www.redhat.com/wapps/store/catalog.html

We purchased a server from Dell with Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Standard
Subscription with it.  Don't know the pre-installed price off hand but
it was less than the $799 quoted on that page.

The Application Stack is further down starting at $1,999

I am sure that we can get the LAMP stack on the system on our own
without too much difficulty.  Don't know how that is handled in the
support if we do not purchase the Application Stack package.

I don't mind that the company pays for Linux products and support as
long as there is good value there.  My comment about the price for the
Application Stack is more a reflection of the boss not wanting to fork
out funds for software that he has be sold as "free" (no cost).  It is
probably a good value for many and may be for us.  I'd have a hard time
selling it to the boss, though since he expects no cost.

I don't know support prices from other places.

Alan