GNU/Linux support

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Fri Jun 15 13:09:12 MST 2007

moin moin,

I'd like to do a quick survey on the costs of GNU/Linux support contracts.

First, let me emphasize that companies should be paying for support
contracts in the same manner they would for any other product.

Some companies never pay for support, so I wouldn't expect them to pay for
Free Software support. Other companies always get support contracts, so
they should for Free Software as well.

Most companies probably decide whether or not to buy support based on
whether or not the product is in a critical role or whether or not the
vendor forces them to buy support contracts.

Alan just had a post about RHEL being $2k for some application stack. Is
that RH's normal contract cost?

Anybody know about support costs from Canonical? IBM? Mandriva? Novell? Other
companies?

Red Seven has a perpetual PC product line that includes support and
computer upgrades in the cost of the contract. I don't know the detail or
the refresh rate.

ciao,

der.hans
#  "This country has nothing to fear from the crooked man who fails. We put
#  him in jail. It is the crooked man who succeeds who is a threat to this
#  country." -- Theodore Roosevelt, Memphis, TN, 25Oct1905