Red Hat Enterprise Linux software sources?

alex at crackpot.org alex at crackpot.org
Fri Jun 15 11:28:48 MST 2007

Quoting Alan Dayley <alandd at consultpros.com>:

> I want to keep this system updated and install needed software in as
> automated a fashion as possible.  Are there well maintained, no cost,
> community repositories for RHEL that I can point to for installation of
> software via yum or another such tool?

Usually, you'd get a 1 year subscription to Red Hat Network with a new
install.  After you register the system (up2date --register), you can
do updates and install packages from the RHEL repositories.

If you don't have budget for continued renewals, I'd say just forget
RHEL and use CentOS.  Better to switch now before you've got anything
running on the machine, rather than have your subscription run out,
and you've not no money to buy the renewal, and it's in production so
you can't take it down, so the box just never gets updated again...

I'm not sure what's in that 'Application Stack', but PHP, Apache,
Perl, Python, etc. are all available from Red Hat.  You can search for
packages with 'up2date --whatprovides' or on the web at
http://rhn.redhat.com (you'll need a login, same as the one used to
register the system).  up2date is no apt, but it's pretty good.

My personal preference is still for Debian-based distros.  But, in Red
Hat's defense, they are one of the very top contributors to the linux
kernel and other projects.  So, your money does actually support free
software when you pay them.  We have to use RHEL at work, and that's
the consolation in my mind when I see all that budget going to
subscription renewals and not to more boxes, RAM, etc.

alex