smtp (esmtp) problems (

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Sat Jun 9 16:06:31 MST 2007

Sorry for the late reply, just catching up a bit.

I haven't used gmail, but here are some things that might be helpful:
.) ssl over smtp is being deprecated, so I'd try TLS with smtp, no ssl
.) try telnet'g into their smtp server and issue the "ehlo" command. It
should tell you what authentication methods are supported.

HTH

Technomage Hawke wrote:
> gentlemen,
> I followed your instructions for getting my client working with your
> smtp (esmtp) services. unfortunately, your server isn't configured per
> your instructions.
>
> it does not appear to properly support (per rfc) ssl with either plain
> or login authentication.
>
> without that,. I cannot use your service to send e-mail except via the
> web page (which is very unfriendly to the visually impaired).
> the directions (as found on the web link below) appear to be
> substantially incomplete:
> http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13287&query=smtp+sending&topic=&type=f&ctx=search
>
> my client is KMail (A KDE client for Linux) and it has all the
> required features (TLS and TLS) and up to 7 different methods of
> authentication under each. I have tried every conceivable combination
> with no results (on both ports offered no less).
>
> However, your system appears to either respond with "the server does
> not support" or "bad authentication token SASL (-5)"
>
> This makes it rather difficult for me to switch from my ISP provider
> (they are blocking a large portion of my e-mails because the
> management software they are using is misconfigured to such a point as
> to detect almost all outgoing mail as spam.
>
> I bring this to your attention as your company has (in the past) made
> claims to be "Linux Friendly". it is now time to demonstrate that fact
> and help me around this problem.
>
> I am carbon copying this to a local Linux Users Group discussion list
> to see if they can also offer some help.
>
> your response in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

-Eric 'shubes'