Lost Hard Drive Space after Failed Ubuntu Install

Michael Sammartano volinaz at cox.net
Sat Jun 9 09:54:27 MST 2007

Mike,

A few questions first. Are you attempting to install ubuntu from the hard disk? It sounds this way from the following description:

I attempted to install ubuntu on my Dell Dimension E510. I booted up in
safe graphics mode and on the desktop clicked on 'Install'.

If this is the case, reboot from the cd and install from the cd however skip the safe mode choice and go straight to install.

As far as the partitions go, did the drive have 2 or more partitions before you started? If not, that is part of the problem. You need to first defrag windows, shrink the windows partition, then create a 2nd partition. Once this is done then you can create the proper partitions inside the 2nd partition for linux (such as boot, swap, and ext3 *note these are partitions not directories (ie.. /boot)*)

I hope this helps a bit. I cant remember the name of the program that will shrink the windows partition but I am sure someone on the list will spit it out, or try google.

Mike

---- Mike Hoy <mhoy4 at cox.net> wrote:

=============
I'm a bit of a Linux Novice. Not my first time setting up a dual boot
environment but my first on this machine and my first time with Ubuntu.
Here is my problem:

I attempted to install ubuntu on my Dell Dimension E510. I booted up in
safe graphics mode and on the desktop clicked on 'Install'.

I made it to the partition section of the installer. I chose manually
edit the partitions.

I tried to create a primary partition for Ubuntu. I clicked next and it
was nonresponsive. Had to force quit.

Launched the installer again and chose manually edit partition table.
The partition, according to the installer, had not been created, but did
have an ! mark inside of a trinagle around my main partition (or C:
Drive in windows terms).

I rebooted to windows to see if there was any problems. Checkdisk came
up, said the volume was dirty. Checkdisk didn't do much except scan the
disk, no repairs appeared to have been made.

Upon getting to my Windows desktop I opened My Computer. The harddrive
once had 71.44 of hdd space, now had 35.6 GB of hdd space.

In Disk Management(local) it shows the C: being at the full capacity
(71.44 GB).

I went back into the Linux Installer to see what it showed how my
partitions were set up and it reported a main partition of 71.44 gb, as
though no changes had been made at all.

In Short after trying to partition my hdd with ubuntu installer My
Computer shows a C: drive with a size of 35.6 GB and Disk Management
shows I have 71.44.

How do I recover my lost free space?

btw, I made a post on the Ubuntu forums but never received a response so
I thought maybe you guys could shed some light.

Please visit
http://www.iconnetworksolutions.com