More Big Brother

Mike Schwartz mike.l.schwartz at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 19:29:38 MST 2007

On 7/25/07, Bryan O'Neal <BONeal at cornerstonehome.com> wrote:

> This was started as an anti counterfeiting measure way back in the day,
> and on high end machines you have to present credentials to purchase
> them and the contract states you must notify the manufacturer if the
> printer changes location or owners.  I just purchased a $35K Xerox and
> can not tell it even has a marking, but I know it is their ;)
> Supposedly it even marks what the date and time the print occurred.
>
> Lower end machines, the kind you would purchase with cash, typically
> only track down to the lot any way, much like a cop can tell what
> conveyance store sold a particular bottle of bud and roughly when it was
> sold by tracing the batch numbers.
>
> Morel of the story, if your going to send a terrorist manifesto out then
> print it out at a busy Kinko's during winter prior to its release (so
> the fact your wearing gloves is not suspicious) and deal with the fact
> it will be traced to that side of town (that Kinko's), but it was long
> enough ago (at least 3, preferably six months) their should be littlie
> evidence left you were their...  Oh and don't forget they can track the
> envelopes to the store they were sold at, so purchase then near the
> Kinko's, and don't touch anything, work in a fiber free environment, use
> self adhesive stamps and envelopes (again, purchased near the Kinko's),
> mail them out of a public postal box that you approaches on foot wearing
> a decent costume (near the Kinko's) and don't ever go back to that
> Kinko's.   Repeat until captured, preferably before you bomb the white
> house.
>

> On that note has any one else seen the mass proliferation of counterfeit
> one dollar bills lately?  I stopped using cash for a while because I
> felt bad passing them on and hated the loss of monetary value by
> trashing them.

I haven't been paying attention.
I probably would have trouble telling them apart, unless the tiny
little threads in the fabric of the paper (in use for decades now)
were missing.

> I felt bad passing them on

My take on that is:  easy come, easy go.
If I were simply passing on bills that I had rec'd as part of my change,
then I would hope they would not single me out for prosecution.
(unless they were already angry with me over something else...  hmm...)
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale  AZ
schwartz at acm.org