Promoting PLUG [WAS: Re: OT: LUGs dying out]

Dennis Kibbe dennisk at linuxquestions.net
Tue Jul 24 08:25:59 MST 2007

On Monday 23 July 2007 10:21:47 pm you wrote:
> On 7/23/07, Josef Lowder <joe at actionline.com> wrote:
> > .
> > On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, Alan Dayley wrote
> >
> > > PLUG is as viable and useful as we PLUGgers make it.
> > >
> > > PLUG meeting attendance, in my view, has been at a plateau for
> > > several years now.  There is a core group that "mostly always"
> > > attends a given meeting with a few new people each month that
> > > usually don't come again. I wish there was a way to make the
> > > meetings more attended.
> >
> > While I am more sporadic than regular in attending the East
> > side meeting, I am usually glad that I attended whenever I have.
> > There is something comforting about just knowing that the meetings
> > are there and available, and seeing familiar faces there.  I must
> > admit that I kind of like the small group "feel," though I agree
> > that it would be great if the attendance could be increased. I'm
> > kind of on both sides of that consideration. ;))
> >
> > There are several things that I believe might be helpful to
> > encourage more attendance and repeat attendance by newcomers.
> >
> > #1. Whatever happened to the idea of printing some PLUG brochures?
> > I recently saw an ad for www.CopyWorldInc.com offering 5,000
> > flyers printed in full color on both sides for $99.  Seems like
> > that should be do-able.  I'd be willing to chip in something to
> > get something like that, and I'm sure others would as well.
> > I'm sure we could find some good places to distribute them and
> > we could all have some available to give away.
> >
> > #2. I wish that everybody would wear a name tag at the meetings.
> > Perhaps with name and favorite distros on the tags.  I am still
> > unable to connect a name with a face on many of the group, both
> > regulars and visitors.
> >
> > #3. As well as the "presentations" (which are always great to
> > have), why not create a little spontaneous "show and tell" segment
> > in each meeting to invite and encourage two or three plug members
> > at each meeting to share a little something that they have learned or
> > found helpful recently (strictly voluntary, of course - no pressure!)
> >
> > #4. Then how about starting a little "directory" of short plug
> > member "bios" (with photos) on the plug website?  That way every
> > new person could get better acquainted with regulars and in that
> > way feel more a part of the group and would thus be more inclined
> > to keep coming back.
> >
> > #5. How about having a little questions/comments/feedback form
> > available at the meetings so everyone could have an opportunity
> > to express whatever might be on their mind, and one of the meeting
> > hosts/coordinators/moderators could look through those during the
> > meeting and perhaps respond.
> >
> > > I always find them valuable and even occasionally "seminar" quality
> > > in their content and presentation.  Others obviously don't feel that
> >
> > way.
> >
> > I think most people would agree that the meetings usually do have
> > some worthwhile value and sometimes are even of near-seminar quality.

> [...]

Brochures: Before you commit 5,000 check the prices at VistaPrint. I'm always
getting emails from them with prices that are lower that published on line.
Create the artwork in Inkscape or Scribus and output to a HiRes TIFF or PDF.

PLUG business cards: I've thought about doing a simple PLUG business card with
the logo on one side and the URL and maybe meeting times plus a place for the
name of the person inviting the recipient. VistaPrint regularly has sales
where the card can be purchased for under $5.00USD or free even.

Nametag: I've dropped the ball on that one since I was bringing name tag
labels to meetings at one time. I do have a supply of lanyards from HP that
I'll donate.

Dennisk