OT: LUGs dying out

Mike Schwartz mike.l.schwartz at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 22:21:47 MST 2007

On 7/23/07, Josef Lowder <joe at actionline.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> #2. I wish that everybody would wear a name tag at the meetings.
> Perhaps with name and favorite distros on the tags.  I am still
> unable to connect a name with a face on many of the group, both
> regulars and visitors.
>
> #3. As well as the "presentations" (which are always great to
> have), why not create a little spontaneous "show and tell" segment
> in each meeting to invite and encourage two or three plug members
> at each meeting to share a little something that they have learned or
> found helpful recently (strictly voluntary, of course - no pressure!)
>
> #4. Then how about starting a little "directory" of short plug
> member "bios" (with photos) on the plug website?  That way every
> new person could get better acquainted with regulars and in that
> way feel more a part of the group and would thus be more inclined
> to keep coming back.
>
> #5. How about having a little questions/comments/feedback form
> available at the meetings so everyone could have an opportunity
> to express whatever might be on their mind, and one of the meeting
> hosts/coordinators/moderators could look through those during the
> meeting and perhaps respond.
>
> > I always find them valuable and even occasionally "seminar" quality
> > in their content and presentation.  Others obviously don't feel that
> way.
>
> I think most people would agree that the meetings usually do have
> some worthwhile value and sometimes are even of near-seminar quality.
>
> > Think about it.  Here we have a metro-area of millions with easily tens
> > of thousands working with or using Linux/FS/OSS every day.  And total
> > monthly attendance to all PLUG meetings (just add up the number of
> > people at each meeting) is about 60-70?  Does anyone else think that
> > is low?
>
> This is an excellent point.  I'll bet there are hundreds of Linux
> enthusiasts and potential Linux users who would be very interested
> in attending the meetings and becoming part of PLUG if they only
> knew about it.  Just getting some distribution on a PLUG brochure
> should be a good way to get the word out.
>
> Has the steering committee ever considered putting a sandwich board
> out on the street whenever and wherever a PLUG meeting is in progress?
> Who knows, we might even get some drop-in visitors.  The sign could
> just say "LINUX meeting -- 7-9 pm tonight -- stop in anytime."
>
> > But, then, many are not "meeting people" so, we do what the group wants
> > to do.  And we will continue to have meetings, if I have any say in the
> > matter.  If for no other reason than my own selfish enjoyment of them.
>
> I think the meetings will continue to be valuable forever ...
>
> > Our email lists are the very best!
>
> I totally agree and am very thankful for them.

> [...] ad for www.CopyWorldInc.com offering 5,000
> flyers printed in full color on both sides for $99.  Seems like
> that should be do-able.  I'd be willing to chip in something to

Here is the URL for that:

http://www.copyworldinc.com/printing_product_catalog/flyer_printing.asp?gkw=1
I think you only get that price ( $99) if the flyers are very small.
The web page (see above link) says 3 by 4, and I think that means inches.
For 4 by 6 it is more like $169.00 ...  and I am not sure about 8.5 by 11.
OTOH, we might be able to get by with one-sided,
(vs. "printed in full color on both sides")

> I'd be willing to chip in something to [...]

It is also possible that some funding might be forthcoming
(either for SW Freedom Day, or for some other worthy PLUG causes)
from a source like the Phoenix Chapter ACM.
It has a bank account, but almost no members (except for me),
and very few activities.  (lately).
Talk about "dying out"...  LUGs are alive and well,
compared to the Phoenix Chapter ACM.
[well, some LUGs at least... like PLUG].
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale  AZ
schwartz at acm.org