Dyndns (and knockd)

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Fri Jul 20 09:27:14 MST 2007

Jon M. Hanson wrote:
> On Friday 20 July 2007 09:02, Eric "Shubes" wrote:
>> Darrin Chandler wrote:
>>> Well, welcome in advance, then!
>>>
>>> I'm not sure about Qwest's various plans, or what they do on ADSL vs.
>>> VDSL, but I have ADSL and the most basic plan imaginable and they
>>> haven't blocked anything that I'm aware of. Of course if you sign up
>>> with a DSL ISP, then you'll fall under their ToS (which would probably
>>> be much more sensible).
>> I have VDSL w/ Qwest, and nothing's blocked here (knock wood).
>
> When I had Qwest's VDSL service in Gilbert, Arizona incoming port 80 was
> definitely blocked. Also, the IP address I had showed up in dynamic lists
> (because it is dynamic but the address never changed) making it sometimes
> difficult to directly send e-mail to some of the larger ISPs because they
> don't allow mail sent directly from dynamic hosts.

That's interesting. I have Qwest's VDSL in Chandler. Port 80 is open.

Your (any) location will have either VDSL or ADSL available (not both), and
static addresses are not possible with VDSL. Sending mail from a server on a
dynamic address has become more of a problem lately (over the last 6 months
or so) as various RBLs (zen.spamhaus.org in particular) have added dynamic
pools to their block lists. I use dyndns.org's mailhop service (which is
reasonably affordable) to circumvent this problem.

--
-Eric 'shubes'