turn off wrapping in vim?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Wed Jul 18 13:03:51 MST 2007

On Wednesday 18 July 2007 15:25, after a long battle with technology,
Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0
> I don't want my lines automatically wrapped. I don't want it to
> scroll on long lines.
> :set nowrap
> :set sidescroll=0
>
> But once I started appending text to a long line, it wraps my
> content.

Do you mean "vim chops the line in 2 at the last whitespace char, once
you've typed more than N chars on the line"?  If so, ":se tw=0" ?  In
general, you set tw (textwidth) to something like 72 for editing normal
text files, and 0 for things with insanely long lines.  BTDT, which is
why my .vimrc on one machine had se tw=0 in it.

--
   Programmers are playwrights, computers are lousy actors,
   Users are vicious drama critics,