turn off wrapping in vim?

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Wed Jul 18 12:25:46 MST 2007

I normally use nvi. But I am using vim:

VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled May 22 2007 20:42:49)
Included patches: 1-35, 234-235

I don't want my lines automatically wrapped. I don't want it to scroll on
long lines. I just want vim to act like default nvi.

I tried:

:set nowrap

:set sidescroll=0

But once I started appending text to a long line, it wraps my content.

I am editing a long line that is tab delimited for data parsed by another
tool. I don't want to reformat it. I just don't want vim to keep breaking
my lines. Any suggestions?

(Of course I can install nvi but I want to know how to fix vim for this.)

  Jeremy C. Reed