Cable Modem / Router / Wireless

Michael Sammartano volinaz at cox.net
Tue Jul 17 10:37:44 MST 2007

---- Shawn Badger <badger.shawn at gmail.com> wrote:
> It may be traffic related. I use my SSH access on ocasions, but not very
> heavly. They may look for high amounts of incoming connections or traffic on
> ports and block those. Personally thought I haven't been blocked for SSH
> though.
Traffic may very well be the answer. I have been using port 70 for my web server for 4 1/2 years, no blocking....... I have been scanned by cox as well, and nasty letters have arrived. I use port 21 for ftp and 22 for sshd, never an issue. I do use 443 for https, and 5901 for vnc, also use 3800/3900 for remote desktop on windows, never an issue.

Cox specifically states in their contract if you go above specific limits it may at it's discretion block services. I can also atest that for over 8 years I have only had 3 outtages by cox, 2 being when they changed routers/switches from Cisco to Juniper and back, and one really bad accident near there overhead lines at the Scottsdale switch on 92nd street. Other than that, I have no complaint whatsoever........

> BTW, what / who is "PHB"?
>

> On 7/17/07, Matt Graham <danceswithcrows at usa.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Tuesday 17 July 2007 09:30, after a long battle with technology,
> > Shawn Badger wrote:
> >
> > This doesn't jive with the accounts of another PLUG poster about a month
> > ago, who said he was running sshd on port 22 for a while, then had it
> > blocked, then ran sshd on another port, then had it blocked, etcetera.
> > His account also said that they do some form of (stateful packet
> > inspection?) and start blocking ports if they see something like this:
> >
> > Random machine:  12345 > 22 SYN -> Cox machine
> > Cox machine:  22 > 12345 SYN ACK -> Random machine
> > Random machine:  12345 > 22 ACK -> Cox machine
> > [normal TCP traffic over those ports]
> >
> > ...whether this is true for *every* Cox user or not, I don't know.  They
> > may have different policies in different geographical areas, or
> > something.  Or there's a traffic limit before they start blocking.
> >
> > For SMTP, the SMTP server also has to listen on a different port.  SMTP
> > servers that are run by clueless people or administratively paralyzed
> > people may not be doing that.
> >
> > > I would also have to chime in and say that I have been using sshd for
> > > some time with Cox. They only block what a vast majority of the
> > > people consider the Internet from running as a service on the home
> > > connections (SMTP and HTTP).
> >
> > Since the PHBs have apparently decided to use MSexchange for the new
> > mailswerver, against my objections, I've got to have an SMTP server
> > that I know will work and keep working accessible.  Nothing
> > high-traffic, just a backup for when the Exchange machine dies
> > horribly.
> >
> > --
> >    "Dreams?  Best leave dreams to those that can afford them."
> >    --Aunt Cordelia, _Wizard and Glass_, Stephen King
> > There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see

Please visit
http://www.iconnetworksolutions.com