Disable BIOS Host Protected Area?

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Thu Jul 12 09:33:01 MST 2007

I am using a new motherboard from Gigabyte.  The Award Modular BIOS on
this board sets up a 2113 LBA Host Protected Area[1] on the attached
hard disk drive during boot.  I don't want it to do that!

There does not appear to be any option in the BIOS settings to disable
this "feature."  Nor have I yet found any information on the web about
what this BIOS uses it for or how to prevent it from doing it.  I am
hopeful that someone on this list may know more about it to point me to
further information.

Anyone know how to disable this BIOS feature?  Anyone have any pointers
to further information about what is going on?

Alan

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_Protected_Area