gmail's toy store of font sizes (was: Re: 1776)

Mike Schwartz mike.l.schwartz at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 16:34:16 MST 2007

On 7/4/07, Matt Graham <danceswithcrows at usa.net> wrote:

> Michael Havens:
> > On Wednesday 04 July 2007 2:42 pm, Kevin Brown wrote:
> >> Mike Schwartz...  His come through in outrageously small print that
> gets
> >> bigger on each line.
> > I still only see one size.
>
> It's a question of whether your MUA is set to display the text portion of
> message in preference to the HTML portion, or vice versa.  This webmail
> client is set to display HTML if an HTML portion exists (and it can't be
> set
> to more sensible behavior AFAICT.)

My apologies for the inconvenience, "if any".
I have no control over whether your receiving-end MUA just displays
all text as plain text, vs. whether it pays attention to the
[html markup] stuff in the HTML version of the message.
I am (usually) sending messages from gmail.com,
and the little gizmo features they provide, for when composing
a message, do
allow for stuff like font size and color,
and also stuff like bold, underlined, and italic.  so YMMV...
("technically", gmail features offer only four font sizes: small,
   normal, large, and HUGE;  so I think that "half a dozen"
   [mentioned by someone... Kevin Borwn?]
   > half a dozen different font sizes
   was either some bug somewhere, or an exaggeration...)

> Is there a reason your emails have half a dozen different font sizes in
the text?

As for why I might sometimes go overboard on trying to
make use of such features, (("just 'cause they are available")),
that is something that, I guess, I will have to ponder.
Maybe I have too much "free" time on my hands today?
(get it? - Independence Day... Free as in Freedom...)
  I guess I should really try to watch it, especially when
writing for a wide and varied (& esteemed) audience...
Thanks,
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale  AZ