it logged off unexpectedly

Technomage technomage-hawke at cox.net
Tue Jan 30 13:13:48 MST 2007

On Tuesday 30 January 2007 12:56, eculbert wrote:

> He had one tech and I was there, go pale and mumble
> something and burn rubber leaving when he crashed
> Jim's system!! a few hours later, Knoppix logged in
> and ran, but we had to reinstall windows, even knoppix
> didn't recover the hd from whatever that stupid did.

ok, this is a fairly rare occurrence..... I have had many techs over at my
place for many reasons (mostly owing to the cable amps on the street dying
after a few nasty t-storms).

the only time I'd have a windows box running on the circuit was for such
testing (and I didn't care if he crashed it or not as it was an installed
image from a stored image elsewhere). Actually had one tech crash the
machine, only I taught him how to correct the problem (part of it was bad
instructions from their training program) and then I showed him how easy it
was for me to recover a hosed system (simply installing with a new image
dd'ed to the drive). lets just say we have a new linux convert as a tech. :)

> At lesat, no charges ever showed up for a 'tech
> destruction call', hihihi.

hehehe. I would say not. :)

> Wonder what lie that tech told his supervisor about
> his 'hole' of 2 hrs that day performance wise...or did
> he get canned...nah, never.

actually, he probably said something to the effect that a problem occurred in
the midst of his call that he couldn't solve (or something along those lines)
and probably failed to mention the destruction of the customer OS. he
probably ended up going back to retraining.

> Cox caught someone blatenly disconnecting Jim's cable
> and running a cable over to another property next
> door. SEVERAL times. Then they quit coming over at all
> on service calls!! Now that is 'service'??? One month
> later, surgery and never ever saw his 'home' again.

I'm rather surprised they didn't prosecute (they should have)

> Qworst has been solid except once..they acknowledged
> the substation was down..it came back in about 4 hrs
> tho. And some idiot in billing switched me back to
> 256k once..raised billy hell about that one and got
> credit. Also a firmware update...since I don't use
> their email..basically my fault for not reading it was
> pending...so cannot blame them on that 'flakey-ness'
> that occured.

I got done with QWORST back in 1999 after bi-weekly service outages and an
attempt by them to state that I was running an "illegal server" on their
network during a period of time when I HAD NO SERVICE! I've been with cox
since then, had a total of 8 makor service outages lasting less than 4 hours
each and a number of minor ones. the uptime here has definitely been in
the "four 9's" percentage wise.