New Computer:

eculbert eculbert at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 30 12:42:36 MST 2007

Mike, 3 years ago, I picked up an 850 p3 20 gb hd, 256
ram for $15 at a yard sale. Suggest you do that or go
to the swap meet at SCC coming up next month..you just
missed this one. Next one is 2/18. 7am to 11am if I
remember correctly, $3 entry fee from the boy scouts.
something to do with it being on SCC that they now
have to charge admission or maybe it is due to being
on the reservation, who knows, don't care.

It was a netvista machine..as a result, a couple
querks to get going, but ran okay.

IF you are in a hurry, look at:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/refurb/refurb_slc.asp?CatId=6&category=Desktop%20Computers
 This one sounds good also, but how do I know..just an
example.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2717577&CatId=1921

Of course, shipping is about 40 extra, but...

Ed.

--- Michael Havens <bmike101 at cox.net> wrote:

> Okay, Does anyone out there on the cyber trail have
> a computer they want to
> part with? I'm on another mailing list and a guy in
> Sanfransico thinks I'm
> crazy for trying to keep this old box as anything
> except a firewall.
>
> Gee..... you guys think that too!
>
> He was saying how he picked up a box with 768 MB RAM
> and an 800 Mhz processor,
> with a 40 gig drive, for $20 at a yard sale and said
> if I was in his area
> he'd give it to me. (I'll post our exchange at the
> bottom... I think it is
> funny
>
> I don't even need the stuff like USB ports or hard
> drive or floppy or CDRom. I
> can just yank them out of the old computer.
>

> -exchange-
>
> Sounds to me like udev isn't running on your box.
>
> Is it even installed?
>
> I'm running Ubuntu, another Debian derivative.  Have
> you tried:
>
> dpkg -l | grep -i udev
>
> Have you tried running Ubuntu.  Everything is just
> there and it works.
>
> Russ
>

>    To: Russ Button <russ at button.com>
>    Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Trash
> this message | Show original
>    Yep.... udev is there.
> apt-get install udev
> udev is the newest version
>

>    To: Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com>
>    Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Trash
> this message | Show original
>    Well, I can't help you a whole lot then.  I've
> been following the
> discussion a bit and if you've got to recompile the
> kernel...   well
> that's ugly.  I don't know what your situation is,
> but have you
> considered switching to Ubuntu Linux?  It's also a
> Debian derivative and
> jpilot just works, like most everything else.
>
> I know it's something of a tail wagging the dog kind
> of thing, but
> Ubuntu really is complete.  I've been using one form
> of 'IX or another
> since 1989 and I'm in love with Ubuntu.
>
> Russ
>

>    To: Russ Button <russ at button.com>
>    Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Trash
> this message | Show original
>    I like the sound of that. I guess Ubuntuu
> shouldn't be that bad......
> but really I do want to compile a kernel. I guess it
> is for my own
> edification. If compiling a new kernel doesn't help
> I will do it then
> PLUS I'll have my custom kernel!
>

>    To: Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com>
>    Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Trash
> this message | Show original
>    Having a custom kernel only means that YOU have
> to support that kernel.
> And 6 months from now when a later kernel rev comes
> out, if you want to
> be current, you'll have to re-compile that kernel
> with your specific
> [...]

Ed Culbertson/ke7feg
Remember Katrina?
For several days, only hams could get out,
and talk to others dependably.

No Morse Code required starting about Feb 07!
http://www.arrl.org/

Long live Knoppix, and Puppy Live Linux cd's.