New Computer:

Justin Anthony arethius at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 12:39:01 MST 2007

Michael Havens wrote:
> Okay, Does anyone out there on the cyber trail have a computer they want to
> part with? I'm on another mailing list and a guy in Sanfransico thinks I'm
> crazy for trying to keep this old box as anything except a firewall.
>
> Gee..... you guys think that too!
>
> He was saying how he picked up a box with 768 MB RAM and an 800 Mhz processor,
> with a 40 gig drive, for $20 at a yard sale and said if I was in his area
> he'd give it to me. (I'll post our exchange at the bottom... I think it is
> funny
>
> I don't even need the stuff like USB ports or hard drive or floppy or CDRom. I
> can just yank them out of the old computer.
>

> -exchange-
>
> Sounds to me like udev isn't running on your box.
>
> Is it even installed?
>
> I'm running Ubuntu, another Debian derivative.  Have you tried:
>
> dpkg -l | grep -i udev
>
> Have you tried running Ubuntu.  Everything is just there and it works.
>
> Russ
>

>    To: Russ Button <russ at button.com>
>    Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Trash this message | Show original
>    Yep.... udev is there.
> apt-get install udev
> udev is the newest version
>

>    To: Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com>
>    Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Trash this message | Show original
>    Well, I can't help you a whole lot then.  I've been following the
> discussion a bit and if you've got to recompile the kernel...   well
> that's ugly.  I don't know what your situation is, but have you
> considered switching to Ubuntu Linux?  It's also a Debian derivative and
> jpilot just works, like most everything else.
>
> I know it's something of a tail wagging the dog kind of thing, but
> Ubuntu really is complete.  I've been using one form of 'IX or another
> since 1989 and I'm in love with Ubuntu.
>
> Russ
>

>    To: Russ Button <russ at button.com>
>    Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Trash this message | Show original
>    I like the sound of that. I guess Ubuntuu shouldn't be that bad......
> but really I do want to compile a kernel. I guess it is for my own
> edification. If compiling a new kernel doesn't help I will do it then
> PLUS I'll have my custom kernel!
>

>    To: Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com>
>    Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Trash this message | Show original
>    Having a custom kernel only means that YOU have to support that kernel.
> And 6 months from now when a later kernel rev comes out, if you want to
> be current, you'll have to re-compile that kernel with your specific
> mods, which may or may not work with that kernel.
>
> I haven't had to compile a kernel in 15 years and I don't plan to do so
> again any time soon.
>
> Give me something that works.
>
> Russ
>

>    To: Russ Button <russ at button.com>
>    Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Trash this message | Show original
> [...]
I'm thinking about selling my machine and building something not as
powerful.  Mine might be a bit overkill for what you're looking for
though.

AMD 64 3200 @ 2.0ghz
1gb Corsair XMS ram with heatspreader.
Epox nForce 4 with SLI
NVidia 7600GT with 256mb x2 in SLI
160gb SATA
Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty soundcard
memorex 48x cd-burner/DVDrom
Logitech G5 mouse
ideazon MERC keyboard
5.1 logitech 80watt speakers
brand new Antec 900 case
450w Antec true blue power supply.

I'm looking to try and get atleast $1700 for this or the equivalent in
PC parts.  I'm going to build a more powerful desktop that's not so game
oriented after I get rid of this machine.

Like I said, it's a lot of overkill for what you're looking for, but if
you know someone who has a kid that likes to play games this one is
solid for it.