Need a reliable audio streamming distribution server

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Thu Jan 25 14:29:44 MST 2007

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007, Joshua Zeidner wrote:
>  Although I am a big fan of SVG, I really don't see it taking over
> Flash at this point, given Adobes MM acquisition.  SVG's only
> salvation at this point would be adoption by Microsoft( not likely ).
> W3C never fails to impress.

Yeah, I think SVG doesn't have a very clear path on the web right now.
But, as a graphics format it does have a future in that I think all open
source desktops use it for icons now.  And, I believe with the new webkit,
it can be used for desktop apps on OS X.  So, in that regard, it will live
on.

I'm curious about the whole MS adoption thing...  it may not be that far
off.  They kept VML support in IE7, while that isn't SVG support, it
really is half way there.  And, MS and Adobe really aren't the best of
friends.  I think the Adobe/Macromedia merger was a direct action against
Microsoft (probably defensive).  So, in some regards, it would seem that
strategically it would be in MS's advantage to put SVG in.

I agree that SVG won't be truly useful on the web until it is in IE.

> I assume that this work;
>
>  http://www.w3.org/TR/MediaAccessEvents/
>
>  has something to do with the process you describe above?

http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/CR-SVGMobile12-20060810/multimedia.html#VideoElement

That's more what I was refering to.  But, I didn't realize that SVG 1.2 is
now a "Candidate Recommendation".  Whoo!  Hoo!  Of course, the real stop
gap is browser support.

 		--Ted