Firefox configuration management

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 18:59:35 MST 2007

On 1/21/07, George Toft <george at georgetoft.com> wrote:
> I need to set up a Linux workstation (Computers for Families project)
> that filters content.  The workstation is an edubuntu install.  Users
> have a generic login, separate from the admin, and the root account is
> locked.  I added Squid and DansGuardian, which works perfectly once the
> Firefox connection settings are set to 127.0.0.1:8080.  Problem is that
> any user can override this setting in their local profile.
>
> Is there an elegan way to prevent a user from changing this setting and
> surfing the sites of ill repute?
>
> Kluge/Hackjob method 1:
> I guess I could implement a cronjob that checks to see if firefox has
> any established port 80 connections, then kills it.  Pretty Draconian,
> but it will get the point across.  Make pref.js read-only for the user
> which restores the proxy settings.  Pretty inconvenient for the user :(
>

> Thoughts?

   George,

      I am assuming you are running Squid and DansGaurdian as a
different user than firefox(  if not you should change it ).  You
should set iptables to block all packets with destination other than
localhost:8080 from your browser user( use --uid-owner <firefoxuser>
switch ).  This will also stop them from using other applications to
contact internet services of ill repute.

   -jmz

--
.0000. communication.
.0001. development.

JOSHUA M. ZEIDNER
IT Consultant

++power; ++perspective; ++possibilities;
( 602 ) 490 8006
jjzeidner at gmail.com